The Government of Alberta has approved the first phase of City Charters
Click here to view the Calgary version.
Based on BILD Alberta’s understanding, the content is the same but consistency between the two will be reviewed.
BILD Alberta has been quite vocal throughout the Charter process about desired changes and potential consequences of the City Charters.
- Of central concern is the potential ability for the cities of Calgary and Edmonton to create separate building codes.
- Municipal Affairs studied this issue and is of the opinion that the requirement of a Bylaw will ensure that additional public consultation will be required, along with approval from City Council.
Considering this, they do not believe this will result in separate building codes. BILD Alberta was invited to submit documentation and evidence in this regard.
- BILD Alberta,in conjunction with BILD Calgary Region, CHBA – Edmonton Region and UDI Edmonton Region, will be monitoring all aspects of City Charter implementation to identify any unintended consequences
- BILD Alberta will examine research priorities to support constituent associations and members to advocate locally.
- BILD Alberta will review the final Charter legislation in detail and provide updates on our website in the coming days.
Our City Charter analysis from August 2017 remains largely relevant.
Phone: (780) 424-5890 ext. 224