HIRING – Manager of Government Relations & Committees, Calgary Region, Maternity Leave Replacement
BILD Calgary Region (formerly known as CHBA-UDI Calgary Region Association) is a not-for-profit organization representing the Calgary and region building and development industry. The association has a membership base that includes all facets of land development and building; single and multi-family new homebuilders, commercial, industrial, renovators, trades, suppliers, and professional companies involved in some aspect of building. Our vision is “to create the most liveable communities in the world.”
As the City of Calgary has experienced significant growth in recent years within its boundaries, the surrounding regional municipal districts, towns and cities have also experienced increasing growth. There is greater commonality and synergy in the development and building industry between the City of Calgary and regional growth areas, with many industry members being active in both the City and the Region. Further, with the Modernized Municipal Government Act changes and the introduction of a Calgary Region Growth Management Board, we are entering a period of significant change that will impact planning and development matters across the region. Accordingly, BILD Calgary Region has been embracing the opportunity to expand its activities across the region with a dedicated position representing the building and development industry in the broader region.
BILD Calgary Region is seeking a Manager of Government Relations and Committees, Calgary Region (“GR Manager”), to lead the association’s efforts in all aspects of government and municipal administration engagement within the greater Calgary Region, as well as to enhance Committee and Member Relations (MR) with BILD Calgary Region Members active in Calgary and surrounding areas.
The GR Manager will advise, shape, develop, execute and deliver on BILD Calgary Region’s strategic priorities with regard to policy development, government relations and advocacy.
Please note this is a 12-month position to cover a maternity leave. The role reports to the Director of Policy, Projects & Government Relations and requires travel within the Calgary Region, as well as attendance at some Council meetings during evenings.
- Expand and enhance municipal GR in the greater Calgary Region, including building and maintaining relationships with key municipalities, evaluating policy and leading issues impacting the industry in the greater Calgary Region, and advocating for results-oriented outcomes.
- Expand and enhance MR for those active in the surrounding growth areas, including member communication, and coordination and leadership for committee volunteers.
- Awareness, integration and alignment, where possible, of industry-related issues and concerns pertaining to the greater Calgary Region with those issues and concerns pertaining to the City of Calgary.
Additional Responsibilities and Objectives:
- Build networks and alliances.
- Develop position statements related to policy and regulatory standards regarding BILD Calgary Region’s strategic industry and member priorities.
- Build positive relationships with government and administrative representatives, policy makers and other relevant stakeholders; employ those relationships to effectively communicate to influence positive outcomes for the benefit of our industry.
- GR Manager will be responsible for preparing reports and presentations to be delivered internally and externally.
- Execute on the direction of the Board of Directors and senior GR personnel.
- Provide communication, support and liaison services to committees and association members.
- Education: Post-secondary diploma or degree.
- Experience: 5-years of experience in either municipal or industry related role – if municipal, preference to development or building industry related departments.
- Leadership and strong analytical, strategic, policy comprehension capability.
- Strong interpersonal, human-relations attributes.
- Proficient in written/verbal communication and presentation delivery.
- Expertise in engaging and encouraging volunteers in order to maximize knowledgeable and financial resources.
- Experience working with or understanding of government/municipal administration.
- Ability to effectively build consensus, engage, inspire and influence a wide range of stakeholders and strategic partners.
- Self-directed, independent.
- Clear political acumen and sound judgment.
- Credible, trustworthy, ethical.
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants should submit their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, August 11. Please reference the job title in the subject line.
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Please visit www.bildcr.com for more information.