COVID-19 April 16 Update
It has been a little over a months since we started to adapt to changes required by the COVID-19 public health crisis. We continue to be proud of how our industry has pulled together to help each other out by sharing best practices and ideas to keep the public and employees safe and healthy. Your positive outlook and commitment to safety are critical to keep our industry moving forward during these uncertain times and we thank you for that.
This weekend we would have all been celebrating the BILD Awards together. While it is disappointing that we will not be able to do this at this time, we look forward to announcing the finalists in June and toasting the winners later this year. The crisis will likely result in some changes to how the Gala operates in relation to previous years, however the BILD team is working hard to ensure a wonderful event for all.
We are continuing to look at other event opportunities over the next several months, with a focus on content, networking and learning that can be achieved virtually. We will continue to hold weekly Safety and Wellness Forums every Tuesday morning to provide industry updates on the latest COVID related safety tips, protocols and practices. We will also be holding other webinars on topics such as financial resources including one this upcoming Monday, April 20. The topic will be Strategies to Manage Cash Flow. Visit BILDcr.com for details on all upcoming events and forums.
In other news, the City of Calgary has recently advised us of important updates to their inspection process in light of COVID-19 safety protocols:
- City of Calgary inspectors will call ahead before arriving at a construction site. The advance notice will allow on-site personnel to ensure the inspection area, and areas leading to the inspection area, are clear of workers in order to maintain social distancing.
- If two metres of physical distance cannot be maintained during an inspection, the inspection will be cancelled.
- Occupational Health and Safety will be notified of construction sites not observing COVID-19 protocols.
- Construction sites deemed unsafe will be subject to a re-inspection fee.
These measures are to keep everyone safe. We appreciate your cooperation!
For up-to-date process and protocol related updates from Calgary Region municipalities, click here. For more information on how the City of Calgary is supporting local businesses through this crisis, click here.
We are continuing to engage in a number of activities to provide you with the resources and tools to navigate this crisis. Here are some of the things we are currently working on::
- Our COVID-19 online resource has been updated to include more resources and information. With presentations and video from previous forums, industry best practices, safety supply information, links to resources and up-to-date government information (City of Calgary, regional municipalities, Government of Alberta and Government of Canada), we are endeavouring to ensure you have access to the info you need, in one place. Our BILD staff are also available to answer questions and point you to additional resources to enable you to ensure the right things are happening on your job sites and in your business, for all your people.
- We are gathering and sharing photos of the various safety and operational strategies our members have introduced during this crisis to ensure everyone stays safe and healthy. These photos are being shared on our social media channels on an ongoing basis and will be added to a web gallery in the next week. Please continue to send your photos and information to us here.
If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out and let us know.
Stay safe, stay well.